Sunday, September 25, 2011

If Only I'd Known...

In July I finally had visiting teachers contact me for the first time in Basel.  I was so excited.  They thought it would be fun for them to meet me in town for a "bite to eat" and then take me on a tour of some sights in the old town.  I thought DJ and I had seen most of it, but I found out that some of those little alleys and roads I had seen led to lots and lots of roads, some plazas, and all sorts of surprises!  Who knew?  Now I'm just thinking that there's probably so much of Basel that I never saw, but.....too late to sit and fret about it know.
This is the smallest museum in Basel---the Hoosesagg Museum.  What you see is the entire thing.  The space---a window in a door.  The exhibits change on a regular basis, but are always a collection of miniatures.  This one is of Madonnas.




Here's just a taste of what I saw off "the main drag".  Enjoy!!

 










Back on Marktplatz, I think I've shown you pictures of our Rathaus (court house or city hall type building).  It's gorgeous.  There's part of it that's under renovation.  Parts of it have been done since we 've moved here, and it's brilliant.  Here's some shots of the outside that you may have seen before:

 










 Well, what I didn't know was that it was okay to walk on in and take a peek in a few other places:








Two of faces, each of them different, were carved on each of the posts along one of the back walls:






Loved this fish---he's part of the drainpipe:








And out back was this cool fountain:

 



Across the alley, there were some gorgeous gates leading into the property of some other buildings:






As I made my way to the tram stop, I noticed something different.  The Rhine, normally very clear, was running muddy----run-off from snow melt in the Alps.




All in all, it was a fun little jaunt through parts of Basel that were new to me.  Who knew there was so much to see.  Maybe in the coming weeks, I'll have to make more of an effort to get out and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment