Thursday, October 28, 2010

Some Postcard Deja vu

We've been married for 36 1/2 years (officially as of Monday, October 25th).  In that time, we have received many beautiful postcards from friends and family as they have traveled throughout the world.  Some of them have found their way to the garbage, but I saved a lot of the most beautiful and unique or those that I thought my kids could use in a school report/project or those that could start a cool collection for one of the kids.  Most of them are in a file folder in a file drawer packed away into long-term storage, but for some reason I came across a second file folder with some more postcards as I was "plowing" my way through memorabilia the other day.

Most of what was in that folder was from DJ's friend, Bobby Jones.  Bobby did all the financial and computer-related office chores for R.W. Jones Trucking in Vernal.  When we lived there for almost three years (77-80), DJ helped sell a computer system to them and did all  their programming besides working his "day" job.  Bobby and DJ became good friends.  For years, even after we moved and lived in Bountiful and even when we lived in Ottawa, IL, DJ would travel back to Vernal to do programming for them.  Bobby was single and traveled the world.  He was always good to keep us informed of his travels.

Imagine my shock, when I came across this:


That's right!  BASEL!  This is where I live.  If you look to the top of the river and see the faint outline of a third bridge---it is the Dreirosenbruche (Three Roses Bridge).  We live on the cathedral side of the river just 2+ blocks from that bridge.  This is the route we walk on our "long" walk.  We cross the bridge to the opposite side of the river (right side of postcard) and walk along the river until we get to the bridge which is just beyond this cathedral (so it's not in this picture), cross over, and walk back home.

I know when I got this, I probably thought, "Basel---Basel, Switzerland.  Where in the world is that?"  I mean I would have understood Geneva, Bern, Zurich, Lucerne, but one just doesn't hear much about Basel. Little did I know those 20 or so years ago (can't read the postmark), that I would live here! I wouldn't have dreamed it in a million years.  Just wanted to share my little moment of deja vu.

1 comment: