Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 1 - My First I'm Thankful for... My BYU Roommates

Thirty-nine years ago on September 11, 1971, I embarked on my college career, moved into Bowen Hall, and met my roommates in Apartment 15. 


Within days, I had met their friend, Ann, who lived in Helaman Halls and two years later became one of my roommates as well at "The Riv".  We got along quite marvelously (I've heard horror stories and watched as some of my daughters did not have such a positive experience).  Four of my original roommates, along with Ann and I, have stayed in touch all of these years.  The five of them have done a better job than I because I was the oddball who left "the West" over 22 years ago.   They often get together for dinner, a weekend retreat, holiday shopping trips, etc.  Most of the time when I'm in the area, and we can work our schedules, I get to see them, too.  When Dot's husband, Brent, was serving as a mission president, "the girls" minus me visited Dot in Macon (David was getting married that weekend in Idaho Falls---thought I ought to be there).


Four of them grew up together in Malad, Idaho.  One of them is responsible for introducing me to DJ through a blind date, 37 years ago!  Most days I am really, really grateful! :)

My college pictures are packed up in Spring, but two years ago, we got together for our Bowen Hall Reunion (along with our sixth roommate, Kathleen; Ann had spent the night before with us):


I love these women. 
  • They are faithful and have contributed much to the church.  They have been ward and stake leaders,  a wife of a mission president, a mentor (stake Relief Society presidency) for a BYU-I stake.  They have affected countless lives through their service.  They have raised children who are doing the same.
  • They are strong---collectively, we have had siblings die prematurely, have had children suffer from disease, have had disappointments in marriage, have had parents who suffered from long-drawn out disease and death, have had successful careers besides family responsibilities, have had children pass away, have had children and siblings with addiction issues,  have had children who have had children out of wedlock, have had husbands with cancer, have had in-law children die prematurely, have had major health issues, and have had to help raise grandchildren.  I always tell them we need to write a book.  People wouldn't believe that so many hard things could happen to six people who are really trying to do the right things.  The story of  these former BYU co-eds has not been a fairy tale, but they keep working at turning it into a happily ever after. 
  • They are creative and talented.  From our early days at BYU doing quilt bat snowmen around the kitchen table in apartment 15, to our early-married craft days around Denise's kitchen table, to their quilting bees at Dot's cabin nowadays, they come up with some amazing things.  I can't wait to hang the Christmas ornaments they painted for me this past year.
  • They're fun, and the rest of the world will just have to wonder how much fun!  They missed out on Dix's rendition of Mama Mia while standing on the the hotel bed complete with boa and microphone!
  • They're smart.  Though pegged as the apartment whose occupants would never make it through BYU, we did.  Dot finished her bachelor's in education at the Y, along with her Master's from USU  So did Ann.  Dix, Deb, and I also finished our degrees at BYU, while Denise got her associate degree in business and then went to Court Reporting School in Los Angeles just as she'd planned. 
  • They're true friends.  Whenvever one is down, someone is there, a letter or email is sent, prayers are offered, a care package is put together, a weekend trip is planned, help is rendered.
In August while I was visiting some of my kids and my mom in Idaho and Utah, we got together for an early supper one afternoon at the Dude Ranch in Malad:

It's always a great time when the girls are together.  I am always taught and uplifted in their presence; if in no other way, then by their example.  I am so grateful for them and all that I have learned.  So as I make my list of what I am grateful for between now and Thanksgiving, I will start with them and will tell all the world how blessed I am to have them as friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment