Thursday, November 11, 2010

November 11 - I am Thankful for Those That Have Given Me My Freedom

My facebook post on November 11 read:

Today I am thankful for all the men and women who have served in the armed forces for the past 234 years to enable our independence, to solidify us as a nation, and to preserve the liberties of us and other nations when threatened. Hats off to those who are working so hard right now. I'm especially thankful for my two sons, Mike (USAF) and Matt (US Army) who are currently serving! Love you guys.

And I meant it.  Freedom isn't free.  I know that I need to think and reflect more often on the sacrifices of the many that fought to make us a nation, those that defended the idea of us as United States, and those who have entered the arena of global warfare on so many fronts. 

One of my facebook friends, Kathy, listed her ancestors who had fought for our country, and I thought of my own military heritage:  I have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War; family members who wore both the blue and the gray in the Civil War, three uncles who fought in World War II as well as DJ's dad.  My two favorite military men are serving right now---two of our sons: 

 
Matt - currently finishing basic training at Ft. Knox, Kentucky

Mike - Received his "wings" recently at a ceremony in San Antonio


It's my hope and prayer that they will always be safe and kept from harm's way, that they will work so very hard to keep our nation safe, that they will epitomzie the values on which America was founded, and that they will follow the example of a once great miitary leader, Captain Moroni. 

It was said of him that he "was a storng and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect understanding; yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery;  Yea, a man whose heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his people; a man who did labor exceedingly for the welfare and safety of his people.  Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had sworn with an oath to defend his people, his rights, and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of blood."

He taught his people to "defend themselves against their enemies, even to the shedding of blood if it were necessary; yea, and they were also taught never to give an offense, yea, and never to raise the sword except it were against an enemy, except it were to preserve their lives."  Earlier while going into battle, he had rent his coat, "took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it---In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children---and he fastened it upon the end of a pole," and he carried it into battle.

It was also said of Moroni, "...if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the chidlren of men."

That's the kind of soldiers I'd like my boys to be, the kind that I know they can become.

2 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME. I just love this post, your words, and knowledge of the scriptures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Becky! Great Post! I love the picture of Mike. He looks so happy!

    I have a ton of info about publishing children's books. One of the ladies in my writer's group has nine published books. She's shared a lot of her expertise that I would be glad to pass on!

    ReplyDelete