Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 2 - I'm Thankful for America


These are the words of a favorite patriotic song that I absolutely love---so much so, that I had my children sing it for a talent show in the Ottawa Ward back in 1991.

What's more American than corn flakes?
The Fourth of July and Uncle Sam.
What's more American than baseball?
I am, I am, I am!

What's more American than tooth paste?
Rock and Roll, peanut butter, toast and jam.
What's more American than O.K.?
I am, I am, I am!

The Stars and Stripes, George Washington,
The Capitol Dome and Bubble Gum.
There's General Grant, and Robert E. Lee,
But most of all you can count on little old...
Me, Me, Me.

What's more American than ice cream?
Chow mein, pizza pie, Virginia Ham.
What's more American than bingo?
I am, I am, I am!

Ours is a heritage second to none.
We are a nation united as one.
Our Founding Fathers gave us that start,
And their love for our country lives on in ev'ry heart!

What's more American than Football?
T.V. and mighty Superman?
What's more American than saying
I am, I am, I am!
(Words and Music- Kadish Millet)

I am proud to be an American.  I love so much about America.  I love the diversity of her people, her Constitution, the conveniences to be had within her borders, her heritage, the natural wonders found while traveling her highways, her flag, her fascination with sports, her freedom of speech and expression, the music and movies that are created within, her willingness to give to and help and support and fight for any nation with less, the way her people pull together when there is a crisis.

I was taught by the best to love our country and it's democratic form of government.  I am the daughter of a statesman, not a politician, but a statesman who served for 8 years in Vernal's City Council, for ten years in the Utah House of Representatives and another eight years in Utah's Senate.  He loved America, Utah, and the people he served.  He did some great things, even serving a term as Speaker of the House:


There were days when I was really into government and politics.  I did Student Council for four years in jr. high and high school where Robert's Rules of Order were something more than what you read in a book.  In high school, I was a charter memeber of the Americanism Club and attended Model United Nation conventions both my junior and senior year.  I attended Girls' State where I studied government.  They divided 350 girls into two counties, and we put into practice what we'd learned.   I got out of my "I'm from the country and can't do anything" mode and even ran for office and won!


After I was married, I would attend my neighborhood mass meetings, I served as precinct secretary both in Vernal and Bountiful, and I was a delegate to the Uintah County Republican Convention.  When I lived in Bountiful, I was a delegate to the Utah State Republican Convention, and I loved the whole process even though I was 8+ months pregnant with my seventh child, Elizabeth.  I donned my red linen maternity dress and applauded and cheered with the best of them; but more importantly, I voted.  I voted for myelf and my neighbors who sent me.

SO WHAT HAPPENED??  All this said, I have to admit, I botched it.  In all the busyness of getting ready for our move, I didn't make arrangements to vote by absentee ballot.  As I watched returns come in via the internet on Wednesday morning (still Tuesday night in the States), I was reminded of what a blessing it is to vote and make our voice heard.  So many don't get to do that.  I don't know why I didn't think to take care of this before I left.  So, I've added another thing to my December "to do" list while I'm back in Spring.  Don't want to mess this up next time.

1 comment:

  1. hey! And what's more American than Target and WalMart?? That's what I missed the most. :) Seriously, I was NOT prepared for how much I missed my very own country. Not just my family, but American soil. You must plan ahead for 4th of July -- it was GUT-wrenching to be away from home. I couldn't help but think of the early converts of the church that left their homeland, knowing they would never return again. That is commitment.

    ReplyDelete